by Sonia Day, photography by Barrie Murdock - £9.95 Firefly Books Ltd (2011)
paperback ISBN 13: 9781554076246 | ISBN 10: 1554076242
Turn an urban yard or balcony into your personal vegetable farm.
Vegetable gardening is back! Concern about the environment and the desire to eat food unpolluted by chemicals, to buy local and to be thrifty are some of the reasons. Urbanites who have never grown a thing are now eager to try to cultivate vegetables, herbs and fruit in back and front yards, on rooftops and on balconies - in any suitable space they can find.
Incredible Edibles is for anyone who's thinking: "I'd love to try growing some herbs and vegetables. But is it too difficult? Do I have the space? Or the time?" Sonia Day focuses on edible plants that can be easily grown in a city setting, many of which are seldom featured in gardening books. Her clear, concise advice is perfect for those who don't have the time to wade through a gardening encyclopedia or to learn by trial and error.
* Provides clear, step-by-step instructions on how to start and maintain an organic edible garden
* Profiles 43 specially selected "hassle-free" plants
* Offers simple and tasty recipes
* Recommends the best varieties for small spaces and suggests alternatives
* Lists readily available sources for seeds and seedlings
* Includes practical tips and personal anecdotes from Day's own gardening experiences
Incredible Edibles is lavishly illustrated with color photographs taken expressly for this book. It will give urban gardeners everywhere the knowledge and confidence to grow and enjoy fresh vegetables, herbs and fruit.
Master gardener Sonia Day is a gardening columnist for the Toronto Star and the author of several popular gardening books.
(Price & availability last checked: March 2019)